Saturday, January 12, 2008

Mama said there'd be days like this

Today was not my best Mommy day. Ever have days like those? Days when your patience is pushed to the edge, then you're dangling by your white knuckled fingertips, until finally you fall off. Days when it takes every ounce of your self control to not haul off and give your child the smack that he very much deserves. Days when your throat actually hurts because you screamed so loudly. That's the kind of day I had today. If you've never had one of these days, please tell me what meds you are on because I definitely could have used them today. Thankfully these days don't occur very often. Perry was spending his first Saturday of "busy season" at work, and I just was not prepared mentally and physically. My two oldest whined, demanded, disrespected, and conspired their way through the day. When I attempted to discipline one (mostly my middle), the other (mostly my oldest) would butt in in his defense. They demanded milk, whined for lunch, and said things like stupid, shut up, and even crap (yup, my 6 year old, thanks to Surf's Up). So after a day subjected to his older brothers, my youngest says to his father tonight, after being reprimanded, "I don't like you, Daddy. Shut up." So what do you do after a day like this? Put the twerps, er kids to bed, pour a glass of wine, take some time for yourself, then creep into their bedrooms as they are fast asleep, kiss them, whisper that you love them, and say a prayer to God that tomorrow will be better.

No comments: