Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Conversations with Einstein

This morning I had a conversation with my middle that went something like this:
him: Mommy, what's 5 plus 8 plus 8?
me: 8 plus 8 is 16 and five more is 21. Why do you ask?
him: Because there's five grams of protein in my granola, and 8 grams in my milk. But I have double milk, one in my cup and one in my cereal. So that's 5 plus 8 plus 8. 21 grams of protein.
Are you kidding me? Do you think Einstein's mother had these conversations with 4 year-old Albert?

Note: Reading the nutrition labels is nothing new for my two oldest. It all started last Spring when their Dad went on this health kick with whey protein. The three of them would analyze the nutrition labels for protein, sodium, sugar, and fiber. One day Camden's teacher brought him to the car and asked, "What's going on with the nutrition labels?" Apparently he was insisting on reading the labels in order to choose the snack with more protein. It was a bit of an obsession. But then again, anything that interests this child becomes an obsession. I like to call it passion.

No comments: