Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Random Ramblings

Sitting on my balance ball (the same one I labored through three births on)
eating a mug of Edie's loaded chocolate mint brownie ice cream~~yum!~~
Really thinking I should just go to bed and get a good night's sleep,
but knowing I'll be angry with myself in the morning
Because I'll have accomplished absolutely nothing.

So here I am listening to Just Stand Up on You Tube
(go check it out if you haven't heard it yet)
and feeling the flood of trapped inspiration,
the deluge of ideas of projects to work on:
craft fair items to make
class ideas and samples,
the art journal I want to start,
a design team application to complete
the drawerful of photos dating back years,
and the even more abundant number of digital photos that sits locked in my computer.

But I know it's all part of the cycle.
There's the "lull" where the mojo seems gone for good,
the "thinking" where the ideas start to pop up
the "flood" where the inspiration is found everywhere (where I am now)
then the "do it" stage where all that thinking and inspiration is put into actual projects.
And, then of course, it's back to the lull because a girl needs to recharge those creativity batteries (this is also when I watch lots of tv!)

The key is to keep the cycle moving, keep it fluid, spinning like a biCYCLE. Sometimes it's easy to get stuck in the thinking, and especially the flood because it feels good to have all those ideas flying through your head. But it's time to move to the "do it" because you can miss the boat and fall right back into the lull--I'm talking from experience here. Nike was onto something with their "Just do it" tagline. So now I will Just Stand Up and Do It.

No comments: