Monday, April 14, 2008

Love Affair with Elephants

I finished a fabulous book last night, one of the best books I've ever read. First of all, I read it in one weekend. I have been known to start books and still be reading them several months later. Heck, I've started several books and never even got to the end of them. My free time is precious, and I don't want to waste it on something I don't enjoy. I don't like a huge challenge when I read. I hate reading and rereading to figure out what I just read. I hate when my mind wanders and I need to reread two pages because I've been on "auto-read" (like "auto-pilot": when you drive a few miles and then have no recollection of having gone from point A to point B, but somehow you have because here you are.) I don't like to feel frustrated when I read, to wonder why the author is taking me down this road. I don't like pages of boring detail.

The book Water for Elephants was a fabulous read. I was skeptical when I reserved it from my library. After all, it's about the circus and what could a book about the circus be about other than wacky sideshow characters and poor abused animals. This book was fabulous (have I already mentioned that?) It was one of those books that you don't want to end. You feel like you've made friends with the characters and now you'll never see them again. Several times throughout the day today I found myself looking forward to reading and then feeling let down that the book was over. So now I'm on the rebound from my love affair with Elephants and I'm moving on to Everyday Sacred. Hope it doesn't pale too badly in comparison.

No comments: