Monday, March 30, 2009

37 Days


Tonight I found the blog of Patti Digh, author of 37 days, a book that poses the question, "What would you do today if you only had 37 days to live?" Right now she is challenging her blog readers to do something meaningful for the next 37 days straight. Err, make that the next 33 days, because, unfortunately, I'm 4 days late for this party. But I love this whole concept. So what would you do? Besides soak up as much time with my children, husband, family and friends (and say to hell with all the housework--they'll have to clean up the house after I'm dead), I would want to scrapbook as much as humanly possible. I do have this secret fear that I will not be able to tell my children's stories (or my own, for that matter) before I die. That hundreds of stories will be left untold, thousands of pictures will sit in envelopes or on a hard drive without stories and anecdotes matched up with them. It's one of the main reasons that I scrapbook: because someday someone will pick up these albums, look through the photos, read the stories and say, "So that's who so-and-so was."

I'm rarely on time for anything since having children, so I'm okay with being 4 days late. Tomorrow will be my Day One. And here's my contract: (copied from Patti's blog; I hope that's legal)

"I, ___Michelle Neddo___, being of kinda sound mind and body, have willingly decided to try to do one thing consistently every single day for the next 37 days. C’mon, self, it’s just 37 days.
The one thing I will try to do every day is this: create a scrapbook page (or some semblance of one) to add to my family's legacy.

I’m not going to pick two things or nine things because that will dilute my focus –- just one thing. One. One simple action. An action, not a goal. An action, not a value. An action, not a wish. Something I can DO.

I’m doing this challenge at this time because: with every day that passes I am one day farther from these memories and one day closer to not being able to record them accurately.

I’ve chosen this particular daily action because I believe if I do it consistently for 37 days with no (NONE, ZERO, ZIP) exceptions, I will: grow as an artist, feel more accomplished as my family's historian, be more aware and mindful of our lives, and feel generally better for having engaged my creative energies.

If I should fail, I won’t blame anyone but myself (not even my partner, that idiot with 29 items in the express lane at the Piggly Wiggly, the IRS (so needy!), the people who make frosted Pop Tarts and Lofthouse Cookies, or Fate).

I also realize that this contract is solely with myself and carries no rewards, penalties or punishments other than those associated with the reflection of the strength of my character.

New things will happen for me.

I’m ready.

TODAY IS DAY ONE. "

1 comment:

patti digh said...

I love this! Welcome to the 37days Challenge!