Thursday, December 6, 2007

Digital pictures

After I put the kids to bed tonight, I braved the freezing 20 degree temperature to snap a couple of pictures (ok 40 or so--it's not easy to hold a camera when you're shivering) of our home lit up for the holidays. Here's one of the shots after a little digital doctoring: This is not the first time I braved treacherous elements for the sake of a photograph. This summer, in the midde of a fantastic lightning storm I grabbed my metal tripod and metal camera, went out my front door and snapped photos of the lightning. My heart was racing, adrenaline pumping, and after I got this shot I thought, "Yeah, now I'll get struck by lightning and be killed and everyone will wonder what the heck I was doing outside in a storm. But then they'll see the picture I got and they'll say it was all worth losing my life!" Alright, so I didn't die, but I did get one of the coolest pictures:

I am just loving my digital camera that we bought earlier this year. My husband thinks his basketball hoop is the best 200 bucks he's ever spent. But I have to say my camera is the best money I've ever spent (okay, the best thing I've ever bought with his money, seeing as I am a volunteer, not-for-profit, stay-at-home mother who gets paid in kisses and high fives). Granted out of the hundreds of pictures I take every month, only about 20 are any good. The amount of money that we've saved in film developing alone has more than paid for the camera. The boys have become quite the budding photographers. My middle has taken photos of everything from his Pokemon cards, to his artwork, to you guessed it, the toilet while it was flushing. Now even my youngest will walk around asking "Where's the camera? I wanna take a picture of you." In 25 years, we'll be glad that we've captured so many moments on film. Now, if I could just get the video camera out a little more often. . .

No comments: