Wednesday, August 5, 2009

He'll always be my baby

I should have realized it when he let me sleep until well after 7:00 am this morning. I should have realized it when he came into my room fully dressed. I should have realized it when he bounded down the stairs to pick out his breakfast without any whining. I should have realized it when he styled his hair and let me spray it with hairspray. I should have realized it when he accepted the phone call from his Auntie without running from the room covering his ears. I should have realized it when he went, not only willingly, but brimming with excitement and happiness to Target and lunch with Nani and his big cousin (and without me). I should have realized that my baby is growing up. He had no trouble realizing the effects that turning four has on a little boy. Today his smile was a bit bigger, his eyes a bit brighter, his expressions a bit more mature. He walked with a little spring in his step and talked with an older tone to his voice. And when the day was through, he snuggled up to me and asked if tomorrow was still his birthday. When I replied that no, your birthday only lasts one day, he looked into my eyes with desperation and asked, "But will I still be four tomorrow?" Oh, yes, little man you will still be four, and you will always be my baby. Happy Birthday, sweet thing!





1 comment:

Kayla said...

Another tear jerker:) I love the last picture...it captures all of their personalities!